Whether you have never had an app or are looking for a new one, the big decision you’ll have to make is whether or not you will choose a pre-existing service. Often times, business aren’t sure which option to choose! Both can potentially be inexpensive and convenient. Use the following test to determine the best path for your business–creating a new app, or using an off-the-shelf service.
Think through these eight questions. Once you answer “no” to one of the questions, skip down to the bottom of the post to find out your next steps.
- Is your business part of a large, well-developed niche?
- Do you have staff members who are willing and able to research potential off-the-shelf purchases?
- Are you OK with having no unique features in your app?
- Are you comfortable with not being able to autonomously resolve any issues on the app?
- Do you have a lot of extra cash burning a hole in your pocket?
- Do you want a third-party involved in your company?
- Are you willing to accept the fact that you can’t change an off-the-shelf-app?
- Is your company full of non-creative people?
If you answered “no” to any of the questions above, that means you are a market not served by off-the-shelf applications. As you can see, this is for many reasons–perhaps your niche is too narrow for anything on the market, you don’t have the funds to pay for a pre-existing service, or the creative geniuses in your company are dying for unique features.
Not sure how to get started on your custom application? Contact us. We have many years of experience going beyond off-the-shelf features and helping people just like you to create successful, original apps.